🌱 Cesar Chavez Park Size To Double + Chuze Fitness At South & Cherry
Hey, neighbors! Today we’re checking in with the kids on World Teen Mental Wellness Day. It’s Sylvia, your host of the Long Beach Patch newsletter. Keep reading to find out the most important things going on in town these days. In today’s briefing, we have these stories and more…
- 🔥 A house fire on Atlantic Avenue
- 📍 Silverado Park winter shelter update
- 👮 DUI checkpoint this Friday
💗 Please help us grow! Send a friend or neighbor this link, so they can be in the know, like you!
☀️ But first, today’s weather:
Sunny and warmer. High: 63 Low: 43.
🏠 If you’re a real estate agent in Long Beach, of course you’re looking for a way to stand out from the crowd and attract new clients. We can help you do that with an exclusive sponsorship in the Long Beach Patch newsletter. Click here to learn more.
⛽ Three of the Cheapest Gas Stations in the City of Long Beach
🍰 Spring Dessert Poll! 🍓
The first day of spring is March 20! Among the things we look forward to in spring are refreshing desserts. We asked: Which is your favorite spring dessert? You answered! (Thank you for participating!)
- 23.6% opted for lemon bars
- 22% voted to write in key lime pie
- 20% chose peach cobbler
- 10.9% selected ambrosia salad
- 9.1% liked fruit tarts
- 5.4% wrote in cheesecake
- 1.8% loved mixed berry buckle
- 1.8% picked strawberry icebox cake
- 1.8% wrote in bean pie
- 1.8% wrote in strawberry shortcake
- 1.8% wrote in ice cream or coconut cream pie
📰 Here are the top stories today in Long Beach:
- The Long Beach Fire Department (LBFD) responded to a structure fire in the 2300 block of Atlantic Avenue on Wednesday morning. When they arrived, they found a two-story home on fire and a child suffering from “extensive smoke inhalation.” Three adults were also treated for smoke inhalation as well as burns. We have no word yet on what caused the fire. (Patch)
- Silverado Park Winter Shelter Update: Mayor Rex Richardson and City Manager Tom Modicay posted an open letter on Tuesday, advising Silverado Park residents that they would not place a temporary emergency winter shelter at the facility. Taking a look back and explaining why Silverado Park was considered in the first place, the letter continues to outline the next steps. It promises to do so “in a more collaborative way with our community leaders and key stakeholders.” (City of Long Beach)
- The United States Department of Transportation (US DOT) issued a $30 million grant to Long Beach for a redesign of West Shoreline Drive. As a result, “lanes will be consolidated, local Cesar Chavez Park will be doubled in size, and traffic will be moved further away from two nearby elementary schools.” For drivers, this means demolition will result in rerouting and gridlock. However, because all the funds are not yet in hand, groundbreaking may not happen until 2025 or later. (Cal Streets Blog, LongBeachIze)
- Today, Thursday, the Planning Commission will discuss the fate of the former Food 4 Less store in the 2100 block of South Street. You may remember that The Kroger Co. decided to close the store after the City voted for a “$4 per hour hero pay increase for grocery store workers.” Chuze Fitness, which has branches in Cypress and Garden Grove, proposes to take over half of the store, fronting the corner of South Street and Cherry Avenue. We have no word yet if any tenants are lining up to take over the former grocery store’s other half. (Long Beach Post)
- The Long Beach Police Department (LBPD) posted its newest DUI checkpoint warning for all to see. This time, the North Division will set up a checkpoint on Friday between 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. Mum’s the word on the location other than that it’s a place “based on data showing incidents of impaired driving-related crashes.” You’ve been warned. (LBPD)
📆 Today in Long Beach:
- Preschool Without Walls teaches in English and Spanish at the Burnett Neighborhood Library (10:30 AM)
- The LB Chamber of Commerce hosts a Space Beach Luncheon at Hotel Maya (11:30 AM)
- Come to the Bixby Knolls Farmers Market at Atlantic Ave & East 46th St (3 PM)
- Check out the Thursday Night Market on the Promenade between 3rd & 4th (5 PM)
- The “Stomp“ troupe performs at the Terrace Theater (8 PM)
🖊️ From my notebook:
- ” ⛳️ Hannah Ko took 2nd place shooting a total of 225 while the team finished in 3rd shooting a total of 918 over two days.” (Long Beach State Athletics via Instagram)
- “Black History is made every day and we’re proud to be a part of that progression in law enforcement. Sgt. Alexander is the first Black female sergeant for the LBPD, and she continues to be a beacon of change and positivity.” (Long Beach Police Department (CA) via Facebook)
- “🚘 Get two hours of free parking in downtown at any of the following City parking lots. From there, you’re a short walk away from your favorite restaurant or shop! Details ℹ️ Parklb.com” (Long Beach City via Facebook)
- “The 2023 LBUSD Education Celebration web portal is live! Visit https://loom.ly/jOToaFc to learn about early learning, elementary schools, and middle & K-8 schools in LBUSD!” (Long Beach Unified School District)
- “FINAL: Jordan 72, Venice 65! The Panthers win their first game of the CIF State playoffs and will be at home for the second round on Thursday night.” (The562.org)
🏡 What are homes selling for these days in Long Beach?
- Median Listing Home Price $720K
- Median Listing Home Price/Square Foot $603
- Median Sold Home Price $725K
Check out more Long Beach real estate information!
🐶 Check out new cats, dogs, and other Pets Available For Adoption at Long Beach Area Shelters!
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
You’re all caught up for today! I’ll see you back in your inbox tomorrow with a new update.
— Sylvia Cochran
About me: Sylvia Cochran works out of sunny Southern California and has been freelance writing full-time since 2005. She loves dogs, cats, books, plays Best Fiends (don’t judge), embraces social justice, and tries to live out Micah 6:8.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Long Beach Patch newsletter? Contact me at LongBeach-CA@Patch.com